Want to learn how to build your own website? Already have your own site and want to have more control over it? Interested in learning to program but want to start small? If you answered yes to any of the questions above, this course is for you!
If you've experienced frustration when trying to build your own websites before...
have no fear! Girl Develop It will help you tackle the basics of HTML and CSS without breaking a sweat. This beginner-level program will teach you the basics and help you along the way as you develop your own website.
By the end of the class, HTML and CSS will no longer be your foes. You'll be like:
Date: Saturday, May 31 from 9 a.m.–6 p.m. Breakfast and coffee will be provided by the lovely folks at Brad's Deals.
Location: 640 N. LaSalle St., Suite 460 at Brad's Deals.
A limited number of scholarships are available for those with a financial hardship. To apply, click here. Do not RSVP for the event. The deadline to apply for a scholarship is May 17. Scholarship applicants will be notified shortly after the deadline. Class capacity does not impact scholarship students.
• Your laptop (Mac, PC, or Linux are all okay).
• A modern web browser - either Chrome or Firefox with Firebug installed.
• A text editor. We recommend Sublime Text 2 (free; available for both Mac and PC).
• What is HTML? How does it interact with the browser?
• Basic layout of an HTML page, including nesting.
• Basic HTML elements, such as paragraphs and lists.
• What is CSS? How does it work? How do you use it?
• Font changes, color changes, styles, layouts, and positioning with CSS.
• Using divs, spans, ids, and classes to style your content.
• The box model, floats, columns, headers, and footers.
If you are unsure if you should take Intro or Intermediate, use the above topic list to help to determine which class is more suited to your skills.
Instructor: Meagan Evanoff, Senior Front End Developer at Organizing for Action. Meagan started out as a designer, and now she spends her time building things.
Hosted by: Brad's Deals
Brad’s Deals is a curated guide to the best shopping deals used by over 10 million consumers. We level the playing field and reduce the noise in people’s lives to give them back time, save them money and help them to be better consumers. We’re focused on solving really cool problems, like scaling out a service that is doubling in traffic every year, building an engaged community of avid deal seekers, defining the future of retail on mobile, and processing huge amounts of data to deliver the most relevant content to the right people, in the right channel, at the right time.
All attendees are expected to abide by the Girl Develop It Code of Conduct.