Want to learn how to build your own website? Already have your own site and want to have more control over it? Interested in learning to program but want to start small? If you answered yes to any of the questions above, this course is for you!
If you've experienced frustration when trying to build your own websites before...
have no fear! Girl Develop It will help you tackle the basics of HTML and CSS without breaking a sweat. This beginner-level program will teach you the basics and help you along the way as you develop your own website.
By the end of the class, HTML and CSS will no longer be your foes. You'll be like:
No shows: your course fee will be donated to the chapter scholarship fund.
Date: Saturday, August 27th from 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Breakfast and coffee will be provided. Students will get an hour to break for lunch.
Location: InContext Solutions - 300 W. Adams, Suite 600 (6th Floor), Chicago, IL
A limited number of scholarships are available for those with a financial hardship. To apply, click here. Do not RSVP for the event. The deadline to apply for a scholarship is August 20th. Scholarship applicants will be notified shortly after the deadline. Class capacity does not impact scholarship students.
• Your laptop (Mac, PC, and Linux are all okay).
• A modern web browser (either Chrome or Firefox with Firebug installed).
• A text editor. We recommend Sublime Text 2 (free; available for both Mac and PC).
• What is HTML? How does it interact with the browser?
• Basic layout of an HTML page, including nesting.
• Basic HTML elements, such as paragraphs and lists.
• What is CSS? How does it work? How do you use it?
• Font changes, color changes, styles, layouts, and positioning with CSS.
• Using divs, spans, ids, and classes to style your content.
• The box model, floats, columns, headers, and footers.
If you are unsure if you should take Intro or Intermediate, use the above topic list to help to determine which class is more suited to your skills.
Instructor: Allison Figus
Host: InContext Solutions
InContext Solutions is an award-winning, cutting edge provider of 3D virtual simulations for the consumer and shopper insights industry. Using the latest in video game technology, we stream virtual reality shopping, dining, and other life-like experiences over the web. This allows our partners to visualize and test a limitless amount of in-store concepts and variables to see how their ideas will play out in the real world – before they invest. We work with companies ranging from CPG to retail to foodservice to technology.
All attendees, including staff and volunteers, are expected to abide by the Girl Develop It code of conduct.