Want to learn how to build your own website? Already have your own site and want to have more control over it? Interested in learning to program but want to start small? If you answered yes to any of the questions above, this course is for you!
If you've experienced frustration when trying to build your own websites before...
have no fear! Girl Develop It will help you tackle the basics of HTML and CSS without breaking a sweat. This beginner-level program will teach you the basics and help you along the way as you develop your own website.
By the end of the class, HTML and CSS will no longer be your foes. You'll be like:
Date: Saturday, August 2 from 9 a.m.–6 p.m. Breakfast and coffee will be provided.
A limited number of scholarships are available for those with a financial hardship. To apply, click here. Do not RSVP for the event. The deadline to apply for a scholarship is July 14. Scholarship applicants will be notified shortly after the deadline. Class capacity does not impact scholarship students.
• Your laptop (Mac, PC, or Linux are all okay).
• A modern web browser - either Chrome or Firefox with Firebug installed.
• A text editor. We recommend Sublime Text 2 (free; available for both Mac and PC).
• What is HTML? How does it interact with the browser?
• Basic layout of an HTML page, including nesting.
• Basic HTML elements, such as paragraphs and lists.
• What is CSS? How does it work? How do you use it?
• Font changes, color changes, styles, layouts, and positioning with CSS.
• Using divs, spans, ids, and classes to style your content.
• The box model, floats, columns, headers, and footers.
If you are unsure if you should take Intro or Intermediate, use the above topic list to help to determine which class is more suited to your skills.
Instructor: Monica Friend
Monica is currently a Quality Assurance and Application Operations Support Specialist at Groupon. A little over a year ago, she took her first Girl Develop It class and instantly fell in love with all things web. After completing more classes, Monica started to TA for GDI and shortly thereafter received a promotion to a technical role at Groupon. In her free time, Monica runs half-marathons, tends to her dog Leland, dance/walks around Chicago, and babysits her favorite niece and nephew.
Hosted and sponsored by: Brad's Deals
All attendees are expected to abide by the Girl Develop It Code of Conduct.