Want to learn how to build your own website? Already have your own site and want to have more control over it? Interested in learning to program but want to start small? If you answered yes to any of the questions above, this course is for you!
If you've experienced frustration when trying to build your own websites before...
have no fear! Girl Develop It will help you tackle the basics of HTML and CSS without breaking a sweat. This beginner-level program will teach you the basics and help you along the way as you develop your own website.
By the end of the class, HTML and CSS will no longer be your foes. You'll be like:
Dates: Saturday, April 12 from 9 a.m.–6 p.m.
Location: Workbridge, 10 S LaSalle St. Checkin with security before heading to the elevators.
A limited number of scholarships are available for those with a financial hardship. To apply, click here. Do not RSVP for the event. The deadline to apply for a scholarship is March 29. Scholarship applicants will be notified shortly after the deadline. Class capacity does not impact scholarship students.
• Your laptop (Mac, PC, or Linux are all okay).
• A modern web browser - either Chrome or Firefox with Firebug installed.
• A text editor. We recommend Sublime Text 2 (free; available for both Mac and PC).
• What is HTML? How does it interact with the browser?
• Basic layout of an HTML page, including nesting.
• Basic HTML elements, such as paragraphs and lists.
• What is CSS? How does it work? How do you use it?
• Font changes, color changes, styles, layouts, and positioning with CSS.
• Using divs, spans, ids, and classes to style your content.
• The box model, floats, columns, headers, and footers.
If you are unsure if you should take Intro or Intermediate, use the above topic list to help to determine which class is more suited to your skills. A four-week Intermediate class is scheduled for April/May.
Instructor: Katy Exline
Kathryn "Katy" Exline is a software engineer and a Dev Bootcamp graduate. She currently co-leads Girl Develop It Chicago and was previously involved in her hometown chapter in Columbus. She is excited to teach women the building blocks of web technologies.
Hosted by: Workbridge
Workbridge Associates is a professional recruitment and placement agency with operations in Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Washington, Chicago, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, Los Angeles, and Orange County, CA. We specialize in technology hiring for both permanent and contract positions, and have made over 30,000 successful technology hires since 1989.
Note: you must provide your first and last name as it appears on your ID when you RSVP for building security.