Not sure what web development means?
Want to build a cool website, but can’t decide what language to use?
Tired of techies throwing around acronyms that make your head spin?
In this class, we will walk through the fundamentals of the web in layman terms. We won't be writing code, this is intended as a lecture to take you through various components of the web and how they work together.
Date: Tuesday, November 18, 6–8 p.m.
Location: Digitas, Inc. Chicago, 180 N. LaSalle, 11th Floor
If you want to learn how to communicate better with your technical team or friends, this course is for you. Topics include but are not limited to:
• What is a web stack?
• What's the difference between web development and web design?
• Where are web site files generally stored?
• What is the difference between a client and a server? Which programming languages are compiled on a server and which are compiled in a web browser?
• What do you need to know before building a web site? What language should you use and what are the differences?
• What tools do you need to develop a web site?
• Who does what on a typical web development team?
• What is Web 2.0 and the Cloud?
This class is for people with little to no technical experience. Bring a notepad, tablet or laptop to take notes and come prepared with questions.
*No shows: your course fee will be donated to the chapter scholarship fund.*
Kathryn "Katy" Exline is an engineer for Fooda by day and co-leader of Girl Develop It Chicago by night. She began her journey into web development by taking a GDI Columbus class, which inspired her to attend Dev Bootcamp, where she currently serves as a mentor. She worked as a policy researcher and a GIS analyst in a previous life. New food, family, scotch, her dog, and maps are just a few of her favorite things.
Hosted by: Digitas Inc., Chicago
Note: A limited number of scholarships are available for those with a financial hardship. To apply, click here. Do not RSVP for the event. The deadline to apply for a scholarship is Nov 11. Scholarship applicants will be notified shortly after the deadline. Class capacity does not impact scholarship students.
Note: you must provide your first and last name as it appears on your ID when your RSVP for building security.