This class will be taught on 2 weeknights Monday 8/7 and Wednesday 8/9 from 7-9:00pm. This class is $40.00.
If you've spent time learning how to build apps using Ruby on Rails but still confused how to get the app into production - this 2 night workshop is for you!
We will be going over how to deploy your first web app using Ruby on Rails and AWS Elastic Beanstalk. This class will only minimally focus on Ruby on Rails, and will be geared towards the technical knowledge needed to get web applications into production. Students will leave this class with an understanding of the AWS ecosystem and the architecture of web applications, and an app in production that they can take home to work on further.
Topics We Will Cover:
• Intro to web application architecture
• Overview of different app hosting providers like Heroku and Digital Ocean, and how they differ from AWS.
• Intro to AWS Elastic Beanstalk and AWS Relational Database Service
• Quickly spinning up a web app with a database, and a deploy workflow for Ruby on Rails app
• Should have working knowledge of git, Ruby, and Ruby on Rails. Students should be familiar with the concept of gems, databases, and Rails commands.
• Create a free AWS account to use for the class.
***This class will be taught using Mac OSX*** Please let us know if you will be using a windows computer before signing up!
There are no refunds or make-ups for this course. If you end up being unable to attend any or all of these dates, the entire amount of your tuition will be donated to our scholarship fund to help other women who need financial assistance. Thank you for understanding.
All attendees are expected to abide by the Girl Develop It Code of Conduct.
About the instructor
Grace is an engineer at WeWork working on products to help buildings run more efficiently. Before starting her career in engineering, she worked as a researcher for non-profits in NYC. She's excited to talk some Ruby and Rails with some awesome women, and share her experiences making the switch from social science to engineering. You can help her learn how to tweet here: @gracectan.