RSVP IS CLOSED. Only those who registered on Ticket Leap will have a spot at the event. If you aren't sure of your registration status, please message us before the event.
Girl Develop It NYC is hosting its first-ever hackathon, Hackentine’s Day on February 11, 2017! It will be a one day event for all skill levels to work in groups on projects with the added bonus of skill-building workshops attendees can sign up for. The theme for Hackentine’s Day will be to brainstorm and create a project that “Shows love or appreciation for someone else.” This is a great opportunity to try out a hackathon with beginners like you, learn new skills and work on exciting projects with support from mentors and other GDI members.
Hackathon Schedule At-a-Glance
9:30-10am - Introduction and Overview of Schedule
10-10:30am - Speed Networking for meeting teammates.
10:30m-12:30pm Skill building workshops (optional)
1:30-5pm Working Afternoon Session
5-6pm Recap and Presentations
Please note: this is not an overnight event.
Interested in helping out? We're looking for volunteers, mentors and workshop teachers. Sign up here: Volunteer & Mentor Sign Up
What's a hackathon?
Never attended a hackathon before...but always been a little curious? This is the hackathon for you!
Traditionally, a hackathon is an event in which programmers, graphic designers, content strategists, interface designers, project managers, subject matter experts and more collaborate intensively on projects for a dedicated amount of time, usually a full weekend.
What's different about a Girl Develop It hackathon?
If you’ve ever been to a Girl Develop It class or event, you know that we prioritize a few important values. Our values are embedded in all we do, so this hackathon is no different! What you can expect: a friendly, welcoming and inclusive environment that is supportive, values all questions and is judgment-free! We welcome beginners of all levels and seek to make this event as accessible as possible. Here’s how:
• We want beginners! It's hard when you're first starting in tech. There's so much to learn, everyone seems to know what they're doing, and no one has time for your questions, right? Not here. In true Girl Develop It spirit, this hackathon is all about giving beginners a way to level up their skills and their confidence.
• Non-competitive. You might see that some hackathons have a judging component, and offer prizes to winners at the end after a long weekend of non-stop hacking. This hackathon removes the idea of competition, so that you can focus on the learning and supporting others in the community.
• Mindful of health. One of the big reasons that we don't do an overnight hackathon over the entire weekend is because we want our events to be accessible and comfortable for our participants. This shorter schedule reduces stress and doesn't eat up your whole weekend. Not to mention, we won't feed you pizza and junk food the whole day!
• Inclusive to all attendees. We recognize that child care may be a consideration for some of our attendees so we have a limited number of childcare stipends for attendees who need help with childcare in order to attend this event. We are also happy to accommodate any accessibility needs for attendees, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for special requests.
Please read our Code of Conduct to learn more about our community and learning environment guidelines.
Why should I come?
• Meet new people! Hackathons are one of the best ways to meet new people and build meaningful relationships with them that will last beyond a weekend.
• You'll be learning, and so will everyone else! This is a chance to try out a hackathon with beginners like you and where everyone is working on exciting projects with support from mentors.
• The community is irreplaceable. You'll meet a bunch of women who are interested in your success. The Girl Develop It community is truly inclusive and supportive of all its members.
• Level up your skills. Hackathons are a great way to challenge yourself to build something with constraints.
Who should attend?
First-timers of all skill levels! This hackathon is all about demystifying what a hackathon is and the people who go to them. Hackathons often have a variety of talents in addition to code.
If you’ve ever taken a Girl Develop It class, worked on an online tech tutorial, or have a few coding skills under your belt, this is a great opportunity to take the skills you’ve learned and apply them to a collaborative project working with like-minded individuals.
Even if you haven’t attended any classes yet, you’re totally welcome to join! Beginners and the tech-curious are especially encouraged to attend, as are experienced technologists who are interested in sharing their knowledge and skills while working on projects that they are passionate about.
How do projects work?
Any participant can propose a project idea for a team to work on prior to the event. Project leaders will have the opportunity to present their idea to the group through our Slack channel. Participants can choose which projects they would like to work on then.
There are no refunds or make-ups for this event. If you end up being unable to attend any or all of these dates, the entire amount of your tuition will be donated to our scholarship fund to help other women who need financial assistance. Thank you for understanding.
All attendees are expected to abide by the Girl Develop It Code of Conduct.
♥ Thank you to our incredible sponsors for making this event possible! ♥