Sketch is a lightweight, modern, and powerful vector design software from Bohemian Coding. It is easy to learn, costs a fraction of the price of Photoshop and is quickly becoming the industry go-to. Sketch is perfect for designing on multiple devices and delivering assets quickly.
In this class, we'll go through the basics of Sketch and learn how to create designs for web and mobile applications by completing simple exercises. We'll cover getting started in Sketch, working with artboards, creating symbols, designing with UI kits, exporting screens and using plugins to get you designing quicker and more efficiently.
Who should take this class?
This class is recommended for designers, developers and anyone who wants to learn how to use Sketch to create beautiful deliverables!
• Basic understanding of Sketch and how to navigate around its interface
• Best practices, tips and resources
• The tools to begin creating professional-looking designs for web and mobile applications
Pre-reqs & Preparation
You do not need any prior experience with Sketch. Just come with a desire to learn and the following tools:
• Laptop & charger - Mac OS X 10.10+
• You will need Sketch installed on your computer. ***Note that Sketch is for Mac only*** If you do not currently have Sketch on your computer, you can buy it for $99 or download a free 14-day trial here. (Note: If you are using the free trial, please do not install Sketch until the day before or the day of class to make sure you get the most out of your free trial!)
All attendees are expected to abide by the Girl Develop It Code of Conduct.
Interested in TA-ing ? Fill out this form and the organizer will contact you!
About the instructor
Sam Provenza is a Product Designer and CSS enthusiast based in Brooklyn, NY where she shares her passion for new web technologies and perfecting the user experience. She loves being involved with Girl Develop It as a Chapter Leader and Teacher because it gives her the opportunity to help other women on their coding journey. When she's not glued to her computer, Sam enjoys Pinterest projects and being a cat mom.