**Newbie Friendly** This class is for people with little to no technical experience.
Not sure how the Internet works?
Want to build a cool website, but can’t decide what language to use?
Tired of techies throwing around acronyms that make your head spin?
In this class, we will walk through the fundamentals of web development in beginner-friendly terms. While we won't be writing code, we'll take you through various components of the web and how they work together. If you want to learn how to communicate better with your technical team or friends or you're considering a career in technology but don't know where to begin, this course is for you.
Topics include but are not limited to:
• What is the World Wide Web?
• Where are web site files generally stored?
• What is the difference between a client and a server?
• What do you need to know before building a web site?
• What language should you use and what are the differences?
• What tools do you need to develop a web site?
• Who does what on a typical web development team?
No technical knowledge is needed for this 2.5 hour workshop.
What you should bring:
* An ID to be let into the building
* A laptop to follow along (not a requirement but it might be nice to have)
All attendees are expected to abide by the Girl Develop It Code of Conduct
About the Teacher:
Melanie is a member of the Prototype Studio at R/GA. Prior to her career pivot, she was a fashion publicist for a top communications and strategy agency. Melanie previously TA'ed a number of GDI classes, including Intro to Ruby and Intro to HTML and CSS. Follow her and/or her dog on Instagram at @mln.gr / @ruby_dog.rb .