Join us for 2 hour workshop that will help you get started and involved in the open source community! We would love to encourage more of our members to become open source committers and contributors; come find out more information on how to get involved.
About the Workshop
Workshop: This session will provide an introduction to open source & walk you through getting started on GitHub. If you've ever had a question about when and how to use it, or how to join an open source project - this is the workshop for you!
Some of the things we'll cover:
• What is open source? What is the open source "philosophy?" Open source licenses and licensing (what are they and what do they mean).
• Overview of tools project built as open source - you're probably already using or have heard of at least one.
• Brief introduction to Git / Github, and other tools used to make open source stuff.
• Creating a GitHub account, getting familiar and ready to get started contributing.
• 5 ways that you can participate in an open source project right now (even if you're not a seasoned coder).
Joining a project: Know enough about open source, have a GitHub account and ready to get started contributing to a project? In a separate area from the workshop, others who are already working on open source projects will be there to share information on the projects and help get you involved.
This event is inspired by one hosted at Code for Philly.
All Girl Develop It events follow a Code of Conduct.
About the Instructor
Mark Headd is a writer, speaker, teacher and thought leader on civic technology and open government. Self taught in programming, he has been developing web, telephone, speech recognition and messaging applications for over 10 years.