In this project-based workshop, you'll learn how to go beyond with HTML and CSS: using the popular CSS Framework Bootstrap for responsive design and pre-built components.
The comprehensive workshop will be a mix of lectures, pair programming, and hands-on exercises building your webpage. It will be taught by Truc Nguyen, Senior UI/UX Designer at Unity Technologies, and Esther Weon, Full-Stack Software Engineer.
By the end of this workshop, you will know how to make a responsive web page using a framework like Bootstrap (e.g making your web page look great on phones, tablets, and desktop computers).
This is a great follow-up workshop for those who attended our Intro to HTML & CSS workshop (https://www.meetup.com/Girl-Develop-It-San-Francisco/events/241868963/).
• HTML & CSS review
• Tools and pro-tips for front-end development and debugging
• Good defaults and comparison of front-end frameworks
• Bootstrap grid system
• Exercise - Fluid layout with bootstrap system
• Bootstrap CSS, component classes, atomic design
• Building a website with UI components
• Exercise - Splash page for your portfolio
• Exercise - Contact me form
• Exercise - Personal website gallery
Attendees should be comfortable with HTML and CSS fundamentals (HTML tags and attributes, CSS selectors). That means that you either attended our Intro to HTML & CSS workshop (https://www.meetup.com/Girl-Develop-It-San-Francisco/events/241868963/) or you learned those concepts online.
You can review them online at a few places:
• Khan Academy's HTML & CSS course (https://khanacademy.org/html-css)
• Codecademy's HTML & CSS course (https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-html-css)
• GDI SF's HTML & CSS slides (http://teaching-materials.org/htmlcss-1day)
• Your laptop (Mac, PC, Linux) and charger
• A modern web browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari)
• A text editor - we recommend either Sublime Text 2 or Atom (both free)
If you do not have a laptop, please contact the instructors. We have a limited number of Chromebooks for students to borrow.
Payment is required to attend. If you'd like to attend but cannot afford the cost, click here to request a scholarship (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfiUBN4yve3L7iociXzcqNgEtrljsn_7mCgZ3eUtvAEr3bcQg/viewform). Due to the amount of applications, only the scholarship recipients will receive an email a few days before the workshop. Thank you for your understanding!
There will be an hour break for lunch. Lunch will not be provided.