APIs are the building blocks that allow interoperability for major business platforms on the web. More and more, APIs are a key component of scalable and successful internet companies. There are many tenants of designing an API when API design is a greenfield opportunity, but once customers adopt it, a whole new set of challenges arise. It can become increasingly difficult to grow, scale, and evolve an API.
In the first half of this workshop, we will review the business case for APIs, present a case study, and have participants design and evolve their own API. In the second half, participants will learn how to build a developer ecosystem for their APIs.
This 2 hour workshop is a preview of a workshop that the speakers will present in March at SXSW 2019.
Participants will also receive a copy of the book Designing Web APIs (O'Reilly), co-authored by some of the speakers.
This is not a deep dive of APIs, but participants should have a general understanding of what an API is:
• Basic familiarty with how an API works from a user standpoint (example of client-side API curriculum: https://www.teaching-materials.org/apis/#/)
• Basic understanding of structured data (Spreadsheets, JSON, MySQL, or objects/maps)
Payment is required to attend. If you'd like to attend but cannot afford the cost, click here to request a scholarship (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfiUBN4yve3L7iociXzcqNgEtrljsn_7mCgZ3eUtvAEr3bcQg/viewform). Due to the amount of applications, only the scholarship recipients will receive an email a few days before the workshop. Thank you for your understanding!
• Amir Shevat, VP of Product, Developer Experience at Twitch
• Brenda Jin, CEO at Guanyin Labs
• Paige Paquette, Group Manager, Developer Marketing at Slack
• Saurabh Sahni, Staff Engineer, Developer Platform at Slack
5:00-5:20 — Registration
5:20-7:20 — Workshop
7:20-7:30 — Closing
Thank you to our host Slack for providing light food and beverages!