In this workshop, you’ll learn the basics of Kubernetes and how to orchestrate containers across a variety of cloud platforms. We will illuminate why this technology is used, and the specific history of VMs, containers, and cloud architecture that has led to its necessity. From there, we will introduce key concepts and tools for using Kubernetes. By the end of the workshop, students will be able to deploy a web application using Kubernetes.
This is a great skill to learn for anybody interested in software operations, data science, infrastructure engineering, building a Continuous Integration pipeline, or starting a tech company.
What we'll cover:
• A brief history of Virtual Machines and Containers
• What is Kubernetes, and why would I use it?
• Deployments, Pods, and Services
• Deploy an application with Kubernetes
• Basic understanding of containers
• Basic understanding of the Unix Command Line Interface (Terminal)
To install dependencies:
If you are on OS X and have homebrew, download this repository and run brew bundle.
Otherwise, you'll need:
• Docker Community Edition
• Kubernetes kubectl