In this full-day workshop, we will teach the basics of server-side development with Node.JS, from creating a web server and setting up routes to installing dependencies and using middleware. This workshop is taught by Esther Weon, Software Engineer at Presence Product Group, and Claire Bendersky, Software Engineer at Movable Ink.
What will I learn from this workshop?
• How data moves around on the web, and what is possible using a server
• How to create a Node web server that uses the Express.js framework to fetch data from a database and display it in my browser
• How to use npm (Node Package Manager) to install and manage dependencies in my Node project
• How to integrate my Node back-end with a simple database
• How to create routes, controllers, and views for a Node application
What are the prerequisites for this workshop?
2. Basic experience working with Git from the command line (i.e. how to git clone a Github repo, git commit, and git checkout a particular commit)
3. Git installed on your laptop (Install here: https://git-scm.com/downloads)
4. Text editor such as Sublime or TextMate installed on your laptop
5. NVM (Node Version Manager) installed on your laptop (Follow instructions here: https://github.com/creationix/nvm)
Who is this class for?
This workshop is for students that have learned some basic web development knowledge (e.g. via our HTML and JS intros) and want to take the next step to learning server-side web development skills. If you're already well-versed with a server-side scripting language, this class may be too basic for you. If you're not sure if this class is a good fit, just leave a comment or send a message.
What will I need to bring?
• A laptop (with both Git and NVM installed)
• A charger
• A Github account (https://www.github.com/)
If you have any questions at all about the workshop, please leave a comment below!