In this workshop, you will learn the ins-and-outs of webpage layout using CSS.
The workshop will be a mix of lectures and hands-on exercises in pairs.
• Positioning elements - inline, absolute, relative
• Spacing - margin, padding
• CSS floats
• Introduction to grid systems
Attendees should be comfortable with HTML tags and attributes and basic CSS selectors.
You can review them online at a few places:
• Khan Academy's HTML & CSS course (https://khanacademy.org/html-css)
• Codecademy's HTML & CSS course (https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-html-css)
• GDI SF's HTML & CSS slides (http://teaching-materials.org/htmlcss-1day)
• Your laptop (Mac, PC, Linux) and charger
• A modern web browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari)
• A text editor - we recommend either Sublime Text 2 or Atom (both free)
If you do not have a laptop, please contact the instructors. We have a limited number of Chromebooks for students to borrow.
Payment is required to attend. If you'd like to attend but cannot afford the cost, click here to request a scholarship (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfiUBN4yve3L7iociXzcqNgEtrljsn_7mCgZ3eUtvAEr3bcQg/viewform). Due to the amount of applications, only the scholarship recipients will receive an email a few days before the workshop. Thank you for your understanding!
ABOUT THE TEACHER
Sarah Federman is a UX designer and front end engineer who loves applying systems thinking to solve product problems. She graduated with her BFA in New Media Design from Rochester Institute of Technology. Previously a UI engineer at LinkedIn, she’s currently using her diverse skillset to help create the design system at Adobe, dubbed Spectrum.
This is a great follow-up workshop for those who attended our HTML 101 (https://www.meetup.com/Girl-Develop-It-San-Francisco/events/253355630/) & Intro to CSS: Style Webpages from Scratch (https://www.meetup.com/Girl-Develop-It-San-Francisco/events/253356074/) workshops.