Have you heard of Jekyll, Gatsby, or Hugo? These are all examples of static site generators, a category of web development tool that’s quickly becoming the industry best practice for a variety of types of websites, from blogs, to marketing sites, to documentation.
Learning to use static site generators is a great way to level up your skills in HTML & CSS, and make your website creation more efficient.
In this hands-on workshop, you’ll get an introduction to the static site generator landscape, and apply what you learn by building your own site in class.
We will cover:
• How static site generators work, and how they came to be
• Comparison of popular generators, with guidelines for choosing one for your next project
• Step-by-step creation and deployment of your own portfolio website using Eleventy, a popular new static site generator that’s great for beginners
• Brief overview of workflow and deployment options
Please bring a laptop and charger so you can follow along with the exercises. The laptop should have the following installed:
• A text editor. I’ll be using VS Code, which is free and available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
• A terminal. All computers have one by default, but if you’re using a Windows computer, please install Git (https://git-scm.com/download/win). We won’t be using Git, but the installer includes a terminal program that runs commands in the same way as I’ll be demonstrating.
• Node.js. You can download the installer at https://nodejs.org.
If you do not have a laptop, please contact the instructors. We have a limited number of Chromebooks for students to borrow.
Payment is required to attend. If you'd like to attend but cannot afford the cost, click here to request a scholarship (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/19YePb1ncNgHLFze40_BJRM7w8SG5mh1D0uB4qyKjwWs/viewform). Due to the number of applications, only the scholarship recipient will receive an email a few days before the workshop. Thank you for your understanding!
ABOUT THE TEACHER
Check out HTML 101 on Wednesday, March 20th (https://www.meetup.com/Girl-Develop-It-San-Francisco/events/259353267/).
Check out Intro to CSS: Style Webpages from Scratch on Thursday, March 28th (https://www.meetup.com/Girl-Develop-It-San-Francisco/events/259353317/).