Have you taken Frontend classes at GDI or bought courses elsewhere, but have no completed project(s) to show for it? Do you feel you’ve learned enough HTML & CSS to tackle small projects, but need motivation and support to get going? Maybe you want to dust off your Frontend skills (it’s been a while...) and get a consistent practice going again.
Good news! GDI is launching a 4-week Frontend Projects Cohort in March to get you coding. No lectures! No slides! Just BUILDING THINGS! And getting code review and feedback from our instructors.
How it works:
Each week, you’ll receive a pre-selected UI design to code at your own pace, on your own time. There are no [set] lectures; the focus is on independent work-–practicing with the skills you already have; knowledge sharing with others in your cohort; and learning to find resources to get your project(s) to completion.
There will be weekly lab sessions where instructors review submitted work; answer questions; and assign the next project. In between the lab sessions, you’ll use GDI’s Community Slack channel to communicate, ask further questions, share tips, and get on-going support from instructors. See the Cohort FAQs for more details.
Why you should join:
- A new UI every week = 4 new projects to add to your portfolio
- Getting individualized, guided and specific feedback from instructors
- Focused practice on using your HTML & CSS skills
- Learning in community with others
- Orientation & Kickoff - Saturday, Mar 5, 2022, 12:00p - 1:00p ET
- Code Review & Lab #1 - Saturday, Mar 12, 2022, 1:00p - 3:00p ET
- Code Review & Lab #2 - Saturday, Mar 19, 2022, 1:00p - 3:00p ET
- Code Review & Lab #3 - Saturday, Mar 26, 2022, 1:00p - 3:00p ET
- Code Review & Lab #4 - Saturday, Apr 2, 2022, 1:00p - 3:00p ET
- Prior basic knowledge of HTML & CSS, or
- Web Essentials 1 (GDI–formerly “Frontend Fundamentals 1”),
- or the equivalent (Udemy, Codecademy, etc.)
Please complete this intake questionnaire: https://forms.gle/bXpkNuy1EWxxHygY7
Recommended workshop to take prior: Intro to Git & Github Workshop (Feb 23, 2022)
- A FrontendMentor.io account (Free signup)
- A Github account (Required to sign up for Frontend Mentor)
- A Code Editor (such as: Visual Studio Code, Atom, Sublime, etc.), or an Online Code Editor (such as Codepen.io, REPL.it, etc.)
- Join GDI’s Community Slack channel (Invites will be sent after registration)
See the Cohort FAQs for more information.
Class Cost: This class costs $180
Want More from GDI?
GDI offers a variety of ways you can join our community! Whether you are brand new to tech or want to advance the experience you've already racked up, we have something for you. When you join as a member, you develop your own pathway to develop code, confidence, and community. If you just want to get your feet wet or want a personal coach to land your dream job, GDI has memberships to match your interest, availability, and budget. Learn more here: https://girldevelopit.networkforgood.com/projects/141457-memberships-2022-campaign
Code of Conduct:
The GDI mission is focused on providing opportunities for women & non-binary adults to learn web and software development, but our classes and events are open to all genders and identities. We are dedicated to providing a welcoming and comfortable environment for all to learn to code and every attendee is expected to uphold our Code of Conduct (http://www.girldevelopit.com/code-of-conduct).