HTML and CSS are the building blocks of all modern websites—from the structure and content of a page to its aesthetic and visual appearance. These two languages give us the ability to create high-quality sites that are responsive, accessible, and appealing.
Web Design Essentials 1 will introduce you to the basics of HTML and CSS. Through hands-on exercises and small projects, you’ll learn and acquire the skills to plan, structure, build, and style websites. You’ll gain an understanding of key topics in modern web development such as accessibility and semantic coding, and start to cultivate your own web development practice. This series will give you the foundation needed to move on to intermediate web development tools and concepts such as CSS Flexbox and more.
This six-class series will cover:
- Understanding how to plan and structure a web page
- Working with HTML elements to create structured web content
- Using CSS properties to add style to web content
- Understanding the Box Model
- Working with images and image types
- An introduction to Responsive Web Design with media queries
- Learning about standard web development practices
- Semantic HTML and CSS
- Using Web Browser Tools for Debugging
Six Class Series:
- Tuesday, September 27 @ 6:30 - 8:30p ET / 3:30 - 5:30p PT
- Thursday, September 29 @ 6:30 - 8:30p ET / 3:30 - 5:30p PT
- Monday, October 3 @ 6:30 - 8:30p ET / 3:30 - 5:30p PT (note, this class will be held on Monday, outside of the typical Tuesday/Thursday class time)
- Thursday, October 6 @ 6:30 - 8:30p ET / 3:30 - 5:30p PT
- Tuesday, October 11 @ 6:30 - 8:30p ET / 3:30 - 5:30p PT
- Thursday, October 13 @ 6:30 - 8:30p ET / 3:30 - 5:30p PT
- No prior knowledge or experience of HTML-CSS experience is required.
- If you have prior basic knowledge of HTML-CSS, you’re welcome to enroll (taking a refresher course is good!), but note that the series is intended for beginners and is paced accordingly.
- A web browser
- Recommended: Chrome or Firefox
- An online code editor account
- Optional: A code or text editor
- Recommended: Visual Studio Code or Atom
- Optional: A Github account
- Join GDI’s Community Slack channel (Invites will be sent after registration)
Class Cost: $240 (12 hours of instruction)
Members attend for free!
Want More from GDI? GDI offers a variety of ways you can join our community! Whether you are brand new to tech or want to advance the experience you've already racked up, we have something for you. When you join as a member, you develop your own pathway to develop code, confidence, and community. If you just want to get your feet wet or want a personal coach to land your dream job, GDI has memberships to match your interest, availability, and budget. Learn more here.
Code of Conduct: Girl Develop It is focused on providing opportunities for women and non-binary individuals to learn web and software development, but our classes and events are open to all genders and identities. We are dedicated to providing a welcoming and comfortable environment for all to learn to code and every attendee is expected to uphold our Code of Conduct (http://www.https://girldevelopit.com/code-of-conduct/).