At this info session, we'll go over what a hackathon is, tell you why the GDI hackathon is special (we're beginner friendly!), and tell you how to crush it at your first hackathon!
What's a hackathon?
A hackathon is an event where software developers collaborate intensively on projects for a dedicated amount of time.
What's different about a GDI hackathon?
If you’ve ever been to a GDI class or event, you know that we prioritize a few important values. Our values are embedded in all we do, so this hackathon is no different! What you can expect: a friendly, welcoming and inclusive environment that is supportive, values all questions and is judgment-free! We welcome beginners of all levels and seek to make this event as accessible as possible.
• We want beginners! It's hard when you're first starting in tech. There's so much to learn, and it can be hard to find the right place to ask questions, right? Not here! This hackathon is all about giving beginners a way to level up their skills and their confidence.
• Friendly competition. All teams will demo their projects at the end, and every participating team will have an opportunity to win prizes that recognize persistence, effort, learning, and building something with code.
• Mentors and friends. We will host a variety of events that help you meet new friends and teammates, as well as provide beginner teams with mentors to help troubleshoot and bounce ideas off of!
Please read our Code of Conduct to learn more about our community and learning environment guidelines.
Why should I join?
• Meet new people! Hackathons are one of the best ways to meet new people and build meaningful relationships with them that will last beyond a weekend.
• You'll be learning, and so will everyone else! This is a chance to try out a hackathon where everyone is working on exciting projects with support from mentors.
• The community is irreplaceable. You'll meet attendees and mentors who are interested in your success. The GDI community is truly inclusive and supportive of all its members.
• Level up your skills. Hackathons are a great way to challenge yourself to build something with other people within a time constraint!
Who should attend?
First-timers! This hackathon is all about demystifying what a hackathon is and the people who go to them.
If you’ve ever taken a GDI class, worked on an online tech tutorial, or have a few coding skills under your belt, this is a great opportunity to take the skills you’ve learned and apply them to a collaborative project working with like-minded individuals.
Even if you haven’t attended any classes yet, you’re totally welcome to join! Beginning coders are especially encouraged to attend, as are experienced technologists who are interested in sharing their knowledge and skills while working on projects that they are passionate about.
Mentors, speakers, and helpers! Sign up here.
How do projects work?
Any participant can propose a project idea for a team to work on prior to the event. We ask that all team members be present for core hours of the hackathon, as well as for the final demos to support all the teams.
At our brainstorming session, anyone can present an idea to the group at large and rally team members. Participants can choose which projects they would like to work on then. Don't have a team or project? Don't worry, we'll make sure you have something to work on, and someone to work on it with!
CODE OF CONDUCT
The GDI mission is focused on providing opportunities for women &non-binary adults to learn web and software development, but our classes and events are open to all genders and identities. We are dedicated to providing a welcoming and comfortable environment for all to learn to code and every attendee is expected to uphold our Code of Conduct (http://www.girldevelopit.com/codeofconduct).