The hardest parts of learning web development and integrating your new skills can be knowing what to build and getting enough practice. Our Frontend Projects cohorts are geared to help you overcome these two learning obstacles.
In Frontend Projects 1, the focus is on deepening your HTML & CSS skills through the practical application of concepts such as the Box Model, CSS Flexbox and CSS Grid, Responsive Web Design, semantic layouts, accessibility and more.
Over four weeks, you will work on progressive UI challenges that incorporate the skills you already have and that also stretch you to find and learn new ones! By the end, you’ll have four completed portfolio projects and a solid frontend practice!
How Frontend Projects Cohorts Work:
The focus is on independent work-–practicing with the skills you already have, and learning to find resources to get your project(s) to completion.
Each week, you’ll receive a pre-selected challenge from FrontendMentor.io to code at your own pace and time. There will be weekly followup lab sessions to review or demo [completed] work; troubleshoot code; discuss best practices and techniques; get your questions answered; and review upcoming challenges.
In between the labs, you’ll use GDI’s Community Slack channel to get on-going support from your instructor, ask further questions, receive and share feedback and resources with other cohort members.
Learn More: Frequently Asked Questions
Why you should join:
- A new UI challenge every week = 4 new projects to add to your portfolio
- Getting individualized and specific feedback from your instructor
- Focused practice on using your HTML & CSS skills
- Cultivating general coding best practices
- Learning in community with others
Class Details: Class will meet for 2 hours once a week for four weeks following a pre-recorded orientation.
- Orientation: PRE-RECORDED
- Project Lab #1: Monday, January 23 @ 7p - 9p ET / 4p - 6p PT
- Project Lab #2: Monday, January 30 @ 7p - 9p ET / 4p - 6p PT
- Project Lab #3: Monday, February 6 @ 7p - 9p ET / 4p - 6p PT
- Project Lab #4: Monday, February 13 @ 7p - 9p ET / 4p - 6p PT
Cost: Cost: $160 (8 hours of instruction)
Want More from GDI? GDI offers a variety of ways you can join our community! Whether you are brand new to tech or want to advance the experience you've already racked up, we have something for you. When you join as a member, you develop your own pathway to develop code, confidence, and community. If you just want to get your feet wet or want a personal coach to land your dream job, GDI has memberships to match your interest, availability, and budget. Learn more here.
Basic knowledge of HTML & CSS. Or you’ve completed Web Essentials 1 (GDI) or the equivalent (Udemy, Codecademy, etc.)
Learn more: Frequently Asked Questions
- A FrontendMentor.io account (Free)
- A GitHub account (Required to sign up for Frontend Mentor)
- A Web Browser (Chrome or Firefox)
- A Code Editor (Such as: Visual Studio Code, Atom, Sublime, etc.)
- or an Online Code Editor (Such as Codepen.io, REPL.it, etc.)
- Join GDI’s Community Slack channel (Invites will be sent after registration)
Code of Conduct:
Our mission is focused on providing opportunities for women to learn web and software development, but our classes and events are open to all genders and identities. We are dedicated to providing a welcoming and comfortable environment for all to learn to code and every attendee is expected to uphold our Code of Conduct (http://www.girldevelopit.com/code-of-conduct).